The crowning moment of the process of safeguarding the collections was the complete restoration of the rarest and, simultaneously, the most severely damaged printed materials and manuscripts. Apart from in Książnica Cieszyńska, where over the previous two decades around 140 bound volumes and several hundred archival manuscript items had undergone complete restoration, none of the remaining institutions in the project had been able to carry out the renovation of their own collections. Thus, it comes as no surprise that among the total of 144 items whose renovation was financed from the project budget, some 112 belonged to Książnica’s partners.

The largest number of items to undergo renovation, some 62, belonged to the collections of the Tschammer Library and Archives. 39 items were selected from the Cieszyn Branch of the State Archives, 8 from the Library and Archives of the Brothers Hospitallers and 3 from the Museum of Cieszyn Silesia. Książnica carried out the restoration of 10 of its printed works and manuscripts in its own workshop. The remaining 22 items were restored in specialist workshops, following outsourcing of the contracts. The restoration of printed works and manuscripts belonging to the Lutheran Parish, the Order of the Brothers Hospitallers and the Museum of Cieszyn Silesia were also outsourced. The State Archives benefited in this way from the work of restoration workshops operating in an archive network and employed by means of an auxiliary enterprise.

The items selected for restoration were all chosen by a committee, comprising restorers and librarians or archivists, who took into consideration both the historical value of the works, their research significance and the nature of the damage, in particular its severity and the speed with decay was proceeding.

The use of these criteria meant that among the items selected for renovation, manuscripts linked to the history of Cieszyn Silesia were first in line, followed by pre-1801 imprints, which were either unique or published in exceptional editions. The renovation work itself proceeded according to detailed programmes put together by experts, and the inspection of each object following renovation was carried out by a committee of experts who evaluated the quality of the work.

Preservation of the large section of archives kept in Cieszyn’s Branch of the State Archives was performed in the laboratory of the Head Office in Katowice.
Conservation of the archives of Ethnographical Society in the Cieszyn Historical Library.
Renovation of wax seals performed according to the method developed by the Cieszyn Historical Library experts is always one of the most difficult stages of historical archives conservation process.
 Coordination of the large-format conservation program, 18th century Map of the Czech Kingdom („Mappa geographica Regni Bohemiae”, Augsburg 1720), which is one of the three items conserved within the project and owned by the Museum of Cieszyn Silesia.
Conservation within the project covered various types of items, from large prints and manuscript codes, through multi-page units, to separate maps and graphics (the photos present the condition of the same items – before and after conservation works).
The quality of conservation of each item was evaluated by a verification committee consisting of experienced conservators and experts.

 


Modernizacja witryny internetowej zrealizowana w ramach projektu "Udostępnienie cieszyńskiego dziedzictwa piśmienniczego online"